Friday, March 19, 2010

Message from Monica

Here is an encouraging email from Monica, our team leader

Hello Climbers,
I hope you’re all enjoying this gorgeous weather! (and hopefully it’ll last through the weekend!)

I went for a run this morning before I came to the office…and long story, short version: this was the first run I’ve done in a long time where I felt good doing it. After having the flu in November, somehow I just lost my running mojo and have been struggling for several months – 1) to enjoy running and 2) to even just do it. I’m sharing this with you because as I was running, I started thinking about the definitions and parameters we place on ourselves…over the past several months, I’ve been down on myself for my essential non-athleticism – I’m not a natural runner, or naturally athletic, so what is the point, I’d ask myself.

The point is this:

You know what? I really am not a runner. I have to work hard at endurance activities and I’m just not built for it.

AND…

SO WHAT?!

I may not be a “runner”, but I AM a person who runs.

I cannot let the idea of what I think a runner should be define me – what I can do is define running for myself. And my definition is: being out in the world, moving under my own power, letting my body move and my mind go where it wants.

I run, and I can’t imagine not doing it, even when the going gets tough.

Why am I bringing this up? I bring this up because many of you have said you are not climbers or mountaineers…but yet in my mind, you are women who strive, women who do, and yes, women who climb.

The world does not define you – you define your world, and I am grateful everyday that I am in the company of such amazing women.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment